David L. Pastrell, DDS is a Dentist specializing in dental implants and has been practicing general dentistry in Northwest Reno since 1987. He has been placing dental implants since 2004. His career has been highlighted by his commitment to education.
Dr Pastrell’s dynamic office staff and his fun personality make the trip to the dentist an enjoyable experience.
A native dentist from Reno, Nevada, Dr. Pastrell graduated from Reno High (1976) and UNR (1980). He graduated from the University of Pacific School of Dentistry in San Francisco in 1983 and completed his General Practice Residency at the Naval Hospital in Bethesda, MD associated with the Oral Surgery Department.
Dr. Pastrell recently completed the prestigious Misch International Dental Implants Institute in implant surgery and prosthetics and was awarded his fellowship status. Dr. Pastrell is a dentist who specializes in advanced bone grafting, is trained in the use of soft tissue laser, and recently became certified to do IV (Intravenous Sedation).
CLICK HERE to view a detailed interactive video about Dental Implants.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are small titanium posts (man- made roots) which are placed into the jaw bone where teeth are missing. The bone integrates with the titanium creating a strong foundation for artificial teeth. Implants can help preserve your facial structure and appearance preventing the bone from deteriorating which occurs when teeth are missing.
Why Dental Implants?
- Dental implants are the most permanent restoration to replace missing teeth. They do not decay and usually last a life-time.
- Implants maintain the natural bone and feel like a natural tooth.
- The population is aging. In 1965 the lifespan was 65 years old, in 1990 it increased to 78 years old, and today the lifespan is approximately 85 years old. So you are never too old for dental implants.
- 70% of the adult population is missing at least one tooth. These can be easily replaced with a dental implant.
- The present clinical success rate of dental implants is 95-98%.
How Many Visits Do Dental Implants Require?
- 1st appointment: an initial case work-up to include x-rays, a CT scan (not always required), and initial impressions for study models.
- 2nd appointment: a consultation with mounted study models and x-rays. Financial arrangements finalized and your appointment is scheduled for surgery.
- 3rd appointment: the implants are placed using a local anesthetic in the office. A temporary replacement for your missing teeth may be placed to wear for the next few months.
- 4th appointment: three to six months after surgery the implant is uncovered and impressions are taken for the new crown or denture to be fabricated.
- 5th appointment: placing of the crown or denture on the dental implant / implants.
*These are approximate appointment times, every dental implant case is uniue and may vary. The entire procedure usually takes 6-8 months.
How Much Discomfort Will I Have?
Cosmetic dental implants Reno patients do extremely well during and after the procedure! Most patients report minimal or no discomfort. Depending on how many implants are placed, a day of work might be missed, but rarely more than that. Most patients do not experience any disruption in their daily lives, and the overall benefits are wonderful.